Monday, September 24, 2007

The Contracting Mentality

Ten years ago, if you asked me if I was going to get into contracting, I'd give you an emphatic yes! But what happened 7 years ago? I accepted a permanent position at Intel. It was good timing, because I was looking to beef up my retirement and get some high-tech training there. Then the dot-com bust happened. Good thing I was at Intel, otherwise I might on unemployment like so many of my high-tech friends at the time.

But times got better, I got itchy for newer better contracting opportunities.

I've been an agency contractor for many years, and it really fits my personality. Here's how:
  1. The job relationship is only as long as the contract. I don't make a lot of friends at work, so when I get tired of the project, it's pretty much over and I get to go look for more friends. :-)
  2. I don't like office politics. When you're an employee it's nearly impossible to avoid. Some of it is manitory, like the crap dished out by Human Resources from time to time.
  3. There's more money in it. Not a lot more, just enough to make it worthwhile. That includes costs normally incurred by the employer, like insurance, training and paid time off.
  4. I don't have a lifestyle that requires a steady, reliable income source. My living expenses are low and I don't have dependents. Anyway I don't believe in a "steady, reliable income source" as any employer can decide that your job no longer exists. If you haven't already planned for your next income, that event will be a life-changing one.
  5. The time off in between jobs is more enjoyable. It's not like being an employee with vacation days off, as vacation time accrual is a long-term affair. It's almost like a burden on yourself and your staff; it requires an a good reason (or destination), and planning.
  6. After a while, you amass a great body of experience from the variety of places you've worked. Respect is garnered by a wider audience (including peers and former clients).
Contracting requires a really different mindset, compared to career employees, and I think it's a more healthy way of looking at my career. Here's why.
  1. I'm always thinking of, and prepared for the end of my current job. Doesn't matter how long my client says I'm on this project. Things could change, and contractors would naturally be the first to go. That's not a bad thing, because when you're on the inside and you see people leaving out the back door, it's miserable, because you know it could be you next.
  2. I've learned how to look for work. Being a contractor, it's part of the game. It's like any business - you always look for the next customer. My first resource is my personal network of high-tech friends, associates, contracting agencies, the STC, and so-on. My next resource is what I've learned about where the real jobs are being posted. Amazingly, in the recent past it's been Craigslist.org and the Indeed.com jobs board. There are plenty more, such as Monster.com and Dice.com. These days just do a Google search for "technical writing position" and they all pop-up.
  3. I've learned not to be timid. It takes being pro-active on-the-job, and looking-for-job.

I consider contracting as a form of freedom. Yes, it has its responsibilities and burdens, but in the long run, I feel better about what I accomplish and what I am.

No comments: